Here fishy, fishy, fishy!

Rather than going on about the massive temper tantrums we've been experiencing lately, may I just say:

I LOVE MY FISH CSA!

The Atlantic cod was to die for.  The calamari, which I would never in a million years bought on my own, was absolutely succulent.  And the swordfish, which I thought I didn't like, was REALLY good!  This week we will likely get Hake and Flounder with the option of buying Scallops.  I am in my glory.

I will say here that I grew up in a drought-ridden land with no fish available that could be considered anything but freezer burned.  We did move to Minnesota - land of 10,000 lakes - for my teenage years, but somehow we never got into the fishing or the eating of fish.  I have previously made a fine salmon (I credit it to a chef at one of the restaurants I worked at who told me to never, ever overcook the salmon) dinner: think a perfectly grilled salmon steak topped with creme fraiche and oregano, with a side of sticky rice and chantarelle mushrooms...  and I have experimented with frying up catfish, or baking various whitefishes, but I haven't had a lot of success with the latter.

But now.  This fish is fresh.  I mean still flapping a fin fresh.  And the CSA sends recipes along for the trying! I am looking at these and then comparing to other recipes, and lo and behold, I love fish!

Tomorrow I pick up my veggie CSA for the first time.  I still have to figure out Kohlrabi (Mme. Child insists that I do a slaw, but I'm not convinced)...  Let the season truly begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment