We are safe.

We were not at the Boston Marathon, thank-goodness.  I worked and the Wife and Mozart had the day off.  In the afternoon I checked CNN and got the update of the winners.  A short time later Mme. Child called and let me know what had happened.  I did a mental checklist of people who may be running and/or might have attended, and found that I couldn't think of anyone for sure going.  Yesterday I went to get my back cracked again (still having issues since my tumble down the stairs) and learned that the chiro and his entire family were either running or across from the second bomb.  Due to computer issues and no t.v., that is when the whole thing really hit home for me - hearing first hand experience of the whole thing.

And yet we are safe.  Shaken, but safe.

These past months and weeks have been somewhat of a wake-up call to appreciate life.  There has just been too much pain and suffering: Newtown, a friend's parents were killed, a friend of a friend took his life, this whole bomb business in Boston, and today I learned that a woman who, at one point, I was ready to call Mom  has a terminal illness.  I am so grateful none of this has affected us directly, but sometimes even peripheral violence and illness beyond our control is just a lot to bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment