Procurement, prepping and putting up - or tossing out *sigh*

What?! Are you kidding?  The weekend is over??  But I didn't even digest the week yet!

Seriously, this working full time business is tiring.  And much more tiring when one is attempting to manage a two year old and four CSA's.  The food procurement, prepping and putting up is about doing me in.  It was before my hours got bumped up, but now...  I'm just trying not to let things rot or otherwise go to waste.  At least it's going to the compost and not into a landfill, but still, not ideal.  We have to rethink some of this business.

The fish went to waste last week.  There was just too much.  They made a mistake and had packaged the portions too small, so they gave us two packages of ... whatever it was last week, I think it was haddock.  Very good, but just too much - even with having company over.

Today I put another 7 or so lbs of apples into the dehydrator - only lost three or so pounds to rot.  Have another 10 lbs that we got on Wednesday.   If I'm still standing at the end of the day tomorrow, I may make more sauce.

But the veggies.  Oh, Lord, they are going to waste.  Two eggplants, a squash, three tomatoes (the last of the season - oh, come on!), two heads of lettuce... the list goes on, I'm sure, with things haven't yet unearthed.

The meat, thank goodness, all comes frozen.  And it does seem to be just about the right amount for what we use.

The bright side for the week/end? I've gotten into the swing of things with my kefir production.  So much so that I have frozen some grains and am drying some. Yesterday I learned how to make sauerkraut - if I can just get to that cabbage before it turns.  I made mayonnaise today.  And ranch dressing with that mayonnaise and kefir (in lieu of buttermilk).

I do not have the work I was supposed to get done for work done this weekend, but I feel a bit justified as I worked two and a half hours over on Friday and the task for this particular project was very late in the getting.  So here I go.  Off to another week.  I've a feeling 5am will be coming all too soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment