Foodsaving Glory!

What a day yesterday!  Farmers Market to help the Wife set up, then off to the farm to pick up the CSA and pick beans, basil, tomatoes and flowers, home to nap for a blessedly short time and up again to get a Foodsaver!  This is an item that I have coveted since I learned of its existence. Now I can store and save all these crazy amounts of veggies that we get for the winter rather than feeding our compost so well!  Some things - specifically lettuce greens will not be able to be saved, but beans definitely, and I have plans to make lots of carrot soup for later servings, and borscht (which I've never actually made because a certain Wife of mine dislikes beets with a passion), and roasted veggies and oh so many other ideas! 

Last night I prepped, blanched and froze freshly picked beans, and this morning I vacuum-sealed them!  It. Is. Utterly. Exciting!

I still have a lot of learning to do.  I sealed some ice cube blocks of chicken stock that I'd frozen before, but for some reason the vacuum-action did stick, so it is sealed off, but I'll need to use it sooner than later as it has air in it.   I tried the marinating function, but I know I didn't do that right - it didn't cycle through like it was supposed to, or beep at all when it was done - odd.  need to figure it out.

We *were* going to go blueberry picking again today, but it is raining now, so I'm not sure that's going to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment