Health Coach

Yep. Met with my new health coach this morning.  Will be working with her until the end of the year when she leaves her position at the VA.  My assignments for this week are to start a food log (I knew that was coming) and to start thinking of things I enjoy doing that don't drain me/us financially.  She did not lecture me about how I've been eating or haven't been exercising.  I appreciate that.  I explained that while working out and exercising is something that I know I *need* to be doing, it is not something that I necessarily enjoy - especially in the beginning, and most especially when I hurt so frequently.  So we talked about the wanting to get back into it, how I feel so much better when I do it, and the physical and logistical problems that have prevented me from doing it over the last 18 months since Mozart arrived.  I did not feel pressured or lectured as I have done with my regular doctor and my endocrinologist. She was not looking for ailments that cause me to gain weight and did not suggest that I may be developing diabetes as the former have done.  She did acknowledge that as a woman ages and has a children, her metabolism naturally changes.  And she also acknowledged that having a child, any child, wrecks havoc on ones ability to schedule and follow through at times.  And when I lamented that I was able to keep some sort of schedule with the 17 other children we've had through the house, she suggested that perhaps having birthed this one made the difference somehow.  But she didn't negate the importance of those other children.  She noted that while my main stated goal is to lose weight, it seemed like I was talking about wanting to *feel* better, and that while exercising, eating well, and thus losing weight were most excellent goals, perhaps I should be focusing on Self Care - doing what I need to do so I don't lose my head and doing what I want to do so I can keep my head in those inevitable times that are stressful.  All in all, I came away feeling like this could actually work.  I feel more inspired than pressured.  And isn't that how one is supposed to feel when they are about to make a change?? 

And so I have written down my food intake thus far.  I have acknowledged that I have not drank enough water: I drank a large glass.  I noted that my veggie intakes was lacking: I prepared - and ate - a salad. 

As for what I enjoy that revitalizes me?  Initially, my thought was - it all costs too much to be able to do it :( going out to eat, movies, museums, getting massages, etc.  But let's get real.  I enjoy writing this blog, especially when I'm inspired.  I enjoy reading. A good crime novel especially.  I enjoy putting on my iPod and taking a walk when my body is in the right place.  I enjoy cooking.  I enjoy watching a moving at home or even a t.v. show on the computer.

And while I don't necessarily enjoy cleaning the house, I do enjoy a clean house.  So with that, I am going to go put on my iPod and clean this place up before I get Mozart.  And then we will have a simple dinner and go to the Y for some bounce-around-time.  Because I definitely enjoy watching him ham it up with all of his antics over there!

No comments:

Post a Comment