Austerity Plan

We are having to implement an austerity plan.  Not by choice, but is it ever? 

We are in the process of refinancing our house.  Have been since April.  It was supposed to have been done in June.  You'll note that it is now the last day of SEPTEMBER.  We have been assured that it will go through, and we've already given them all the money they get for it, so why is it taking so long??  Is it just that they want to keep getting that measly 2 percentage points from us for a couple more months?  I mean, I know that we are the winners when we refinance, so are they trying to drag it out?  Is it not enough that they were not willing to roll both mortgages into the refinance - to, you know, actually make a notable difference in our lives?   The reason: because we don't qualify to do it.  How does it make sense?  If we are making the payments now, and have never been late, don't you think we could more easily make the payments if they were $500-700 less per month??  And don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the predicted $150-250 that will be saved with the current deal, but - can you tell - just a little bitter about the whole situation. 

With prices rising at every turn, it seems like we might have had to go here anyway, at least in some respect.  But circumstances are such that we need to do it more dramatically.  Our roof is leaking.  Our water heater is letting go of all the water at random intervals.  And my car will not pass inspection - on many fronts.  We need to address all of these things before the end of October - sooner if we can - and yet even with great cuts to our expenses, we can't make any actual moves before the refinance goes through for fear that it won't. 

I'll be stopping my gym membership.  I haven't gone anyway.  Should, but since I'm not, it's got to go.

No more take-out.  No more random trips to the grocery store.  No more lunch from the caf at work.   All meals are to be planned out from now on.

And the land line and internet will have to go.  This is killing me.  I feel like a land line is important in this age so dependent on cell towers.  And the internet - our main form of communication with people and, frankly, recreation.  Email, Facebook, Skype, Pinterest, and blogging.  Not to mention MapQuest, recipes, potential job opportunities and random searches for needed information.  I have to call tomorrow to see if there is a way we can reduce our phone/internet to bare bones while keeping it.  Frankly, I'm not hopeful we can save it.


I can't think of other areas in our life that are optional expenses. We don't have cable.  We've kept the thermostat at a chilling degree the past several winters already.  No satellite radio or other random monthly entertainment expenses. Except Netflix - and I'm not giving up my two movies a month for $5.30 cents.  Though without internet, we won't be able to stream anything anymore. 

While we gave away much of it, I am thankful that we have some clothes left over from Prancer and Buddha, and that Mozart's cousin is just a year older.  I don't think we'll have to buy much in that department for him this year.  I wish someone could hand-me-down a car, or roof, or water heater...


No comments:

Post a Comment