Eat more kale, they say. A follow-up.

We are on the upswing with kale at our CSA again.  Awhile back, I wrote about a new-to-me way to prepare kale.  In salads, but massaged, or tenderized.  I tried this several times, and the best recipe I've found so far is as follows, with a few tweaks of my own.  I printed this out some time ago, and panicked this afternoon when I couldn't find it.  I did, finally, so I figure I'll share it and then also have it at my fingertips anytime I want instead of having to search for a piece of paper (I suppose, I could put it on a recipe card and file it, but this is more fun).

So this recipe is attributed to Kathy Gusnst.  I did not print out anything saying anything more about her, so I can't tell you who she is, really.  Only that she makes an excellent kale salad.

Kathy's Kale Salad

Ingredients:
3 Cups raw Kale, cored and cut into thin slices or ribbons
Sea Salt and pepper, to taste
About 1/4 cup olive oil
2-3 Tablespoons of vinegar (I used apple cider)
1/3 cup of raisins
1/3 cup of pine nuts or walnuts (I doubled this)

Toss all ingredients but nuts and let sit for a minimum of 30 minutes before serving.  Kathy notes that the salt and vinegar will tenderize the kale and soften in.  I do massage it a bit for good measure as well.  She mixed the nuts right in for the sitting period, but I roast them and then serve on top of the salad after it has tenderized.

Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment