Oh, Come On!!

I mentioned a couple posts ago that I was so very, very tired.  Since that time, I've yet to get a truly restful night's sleep.  Mozart has been sick in a variety of ways ~ tummy trouble, fever, congestion, and now what may very well be hand, foot and mouth disease as evidenced by the sores in his mouth and the screaming that follows attempting to swallow anything but milk or yogurt.  So last night, instead of staying up and watching a show with TW, I went to bed and fell asleep before I even got done with one page in my book.

You can imagine that I was less than thrilled that he woke up at 5am.  And that he wanted to be up for the day at that point.  My overly tired brain could not take the screaming that ensued when I suggested he try, just try, to go back to sleep.  He wasn't having it.  Wanted to come downstairs and have breakfast.  I relented by half.  I made him ask me in a less screamy voice, but we did go downstairs.  Not to have breakfast, which I explained would absolutely not happen until it is light out, but to snuggle.

I did not turn on any lights. He said he was scared of the dark, but I said he had the choice of snuggling/resting with me down in the dark or he could go back up to his room.  He chose to stay with me.   We felt our way over to the couch and sat down.  As I felt around for the blanket I knew was there, I put my hand on a slimy, sticky thing.  I yelped a bit, which caused Mozart to snuggle closer as I realized the thing my hand was on was the lid for a Ben and Jerry's ice cream.  Somewhat irritated, I muttered to myself about cleaning up after oneself, moved the offending object to the coffee table, and proceeded to snuggle in with Mozart.  He did very well for some time, probably close to an hour, and he rested laying on top of me.  Every once in awhile he'd get restless, I'd ask him if he wanted to go back upstairs, and he'd settle down again.

And then it happened.

I heard a small, "What this, Mama?"  And was immediately showered with a deluge of cold liquid.  I screamed outright in shock.  My neck, hair and sweatshirt, as well as the couch behind, were saturated.  With beer!?!  Seriously?!?  Now I am, well, howling in dismay.  Mozart is joining in the howling because he doesn't know what is going on and if the dark is scary, I'm sure having your mother freak out in the dark for heaven knows what reason, is even scarier.

We howl our way upstairs, and I unceremoniously deposit Mozart in our bedroom, with a sleeping TW, and announced that I need to take a shower because my dear wife has left what must have been full beer to be poured on top of me and I now smell like a brewery.

I am showered now, and much more collected.  TW calmed Mozart down and I even got an apology from the little guy. TW has gone back to bed and so the leaving-out-of-drinks will need to be addressed later.  As my previous plans of getting to the gym early and then showering have been rearranged, we'll now be off to the Dairy Farm for milk, the Veggie Farm for veggies and flowers, and then the Farmer's Market for anything that didn't come in our CSA this week.  I'll hit the gym later.

2 comments:

  1. Somewhat better. There was a several hour tantrum in the afternoon to contend with, but I suppose that is pare for the course when dealing with an overtired and sick toddler.

    ReplyDelete