All in a (long) day's work...

This morning began with a visit to the CSA to pick herbs, bean, tomatoes and flowers and to pick up our share of other vegetables. The Boy joins me on these ventures and the whole trip can be exhausting for us both, but it's so worth it: we get a wonderful organic produce, and the Boy gets to learn first-hand where food comes from - and see tractors. 

On arrival home I put together a completely locally-sourced meal of bread that I bought while it was still warm, cream cheese (that I made on my own from milk that I bought at the farm) spread with fresh herbs I  picked this morning and garlic from the Farmers Market, tomatoes from the CSA, and blueberries that I picked yesterday.  The only thing that was not local was a pinch of Celtic Sea Salt.  Very satisfying for both the body and soul.

Then the food prep/storage/cooking marathon began:  2 Quarts wax beans (one frozen, one prepped for seaming this week), 2 batches of Pesto (Green batch frozen, Black/purple for dinner), 1 large Kolrabi (cubed & roasted, for dinner and lunches this week), 4 sweet peppers (roasted, for dinner and for sauce this week), large pot of Gemelli with Parmesan and herbed chicken with eggplant and above pesto sauce (for dinner, 2 lunches this week, and three frozen entrees), 2 collections of roasted chicken soup bones and 1 bone-in chicken breast (for stock and tomorrow's chicken salad)  and finally 4 heads of fennel ( for roasting tomorrow). 

All said and done, I then did the dishes and now have my feet up while I type these last few sentences before I tumble into bed and start another marathon tomorrow - on the list for that marathon is: roasted beets, roasted zucchini and yellow squash, roasted fennel, chicken salad, and Kale chips.   Dinner will be salmon, but beyond that I don't know yet - maybe just salmon and salad...

No comments:

Post a Comment