And gluten free, even!



Good day, good evening, hello, and how are you?  I survived the week.  This is big.  I SURVIVED THE WEEK!  And, at the end of it, I have managed to have an excellent dinner with new friends and  Mme. Child. Two weeks ago, I met one of the new friends at the Y and we made a play date at jump-around-time with her family for the following week.  Mme. Child was there and so we all planned an impromptu dinner for tonight.  It was awesome!  And, I made gluten free tuile cookies!  I first found a couple recipes that I tried, that all had flour in them, and then changed a few things to make them gluten free.  And so here it is below:

Gluten Free Almond Tuile Cookies
Makes between 2-3 dozen, depending on size

3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp Almond flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 brown sugar
1 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp almond extract
pinch of salt

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix all ingredients in saucepan over low heat until it is mixed well together.  Get two cookie sheets and cover with parchment paper.  Put about a teaspoon of batter, evenly spaced on parchment paper, 6 dollops per cookie sheet.  Bake for 5-7 minutes (until browned on the outside, but still light on the inside).  Remove from oven (while you put the next sheet of dollops in the oven) and let sit for just one minute.  Use small cannoli rounds, or a wooden spoon, to form the tuile and set on cooling racks.  A couple of recipes suggested that you use a spatula to flip the cookies over so you get the lacy part on the outside - I found this to be a wastes step and just picked up the edge to lay it over the cannoli round  and move from there - they are warm, yes, but the parchment paper protects your fingers from getting burned by the cookie sheet.  You'll have to work quickly - in order to form the tuile before the they harden, so you'll have about a minute or two to spare before the next batch is  ready.  You can go ahead and use the parchment paper for all of the batter - no need to change it out.  The whole thing is rather acrobatic.  I suggest that any children be kept busy in another room or out of the house completely during this process and I nearly tripped over Mozart a couple of times - and the Wife was doing a fine job of occupying him!  I'm afraid my SD card on my phone used up the very last photo with the taking of the above photo, so I do not have a stylish photo of the grand finale served with ice cream and caramel sauce, but you get the idea!


No comments:

Post a Comment