Comcast, Verizon and other Evil Empires

I don't talk about work here, and I'm not going to start now except to say that I had to interact with these no good, very bad, evil, awful entities today.  Why is it so hard for Comcast to give a simple list of various cable packages with corresponding prices?  I work with people who are on a *very* limited budget.  And when someone has less than $60/month flex money they cannot afford a cable plan that is $79.99/month that raises to $99.99 after six months and $107 after a year.  They tell me that is the absolute smallest package they have that consists of anything over the very basic local channels.  Now, I *know* that there are numerous other, much smaller, packages because I have other clients who have them.  I just don't know which ones have what channels.  That was the first conversation.  And the second.  In the third conversation the guy says that he's got a package, that yes, has the channel my client wants, plus a whole gamut of other channels, and it will be $39.99/month.  Sounds good, right?  Yeah, well, I'm smarter than that, so I ask, is this a standing price, or a promotion?  Just as I thought.  A promotional "deal" that expires in six months and then the price goes up to $65.99.    And when I say that, if he remembers, the budget is limited and, no we can't be keeping track of when the prices will go through the roof, he says that is all there is to offer and because they are the only cable provider for the area, we'll just have to figure out a way to take their offer.  Thanks.  I'll take that into consideration. Click.

I was able to get a list, finally, from a coworker who has an in with Comcast.  There is, in fact, the basic package - just the local channels - for $8.56.  The next level up is expanded with about 15 more channels for $22.19.  And then, yes, there is a package, with the requested channel, and a fair amount of other channels, for $39.99. Flat out.  No tricks.

And then I had to call Verizon.  And again.  The empire rules all.  Prices rise for this package or that package.  Extra charges.  The less expensive plan is no longer available.  Only two available phones that do not require ultra-expensive plan.  I will give it to them that, as far as I can tell, they are not trying to bamboozle me into something without the necessary information that's needed to make a decision.

By the end of the day I had a wicked headache.  I went to buy a lottery ticket.  It's 90 million tonight.  If I win I will make my own cable and wireless companies.  Both will have affordable plans that are clear cut and have options for everyone without having to sign away their firstborn child's soul to the devil.  So wish me luck on that.  We'll all be better off.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on the lottery! :)

    By the way, I work for Comcast. I am sorry that you had a poor experience in trying to get package pricing information. If you need more help on this, please feel free to contact me.

    Mark Casem
    Comcast Corp.
    National Customer Operations
    We_can_help@cable.comcast.com


    ReplyDelete
  2. No luck on the lottery :( Must try again - now it's up to 100 million :D

    I was curious, Mark, were you reading my blog all along (I really don't know who's out there when there are so few comments - *hint, hint*) or were you attracted to the blog when I mentioned Comcast by name? Regardless, thanks for reaching out - I may contact you if I run into another problem.

    ReplyDelete