Shat upon.


Yep.  That's me.  Shat upon.  Twice now.  From the sky.  At least this time it was, by stroke of luck, my hand and not my head.  Or the groceries, which my hand hovered over as it happened.  It appears the winged ones are eating their share of pumpkins and squash these days. 


And that is unfortunate because it just so happens to look nearly exactly like the soup that I made for dinner.  A delicious soup, mind you, but considering the earlier events, you can see why the thought is less than appetizing right at the moment...

The soup calls for hubbard squash, which I just so happen to have from our CSA.  It was a large squash and my butcher knife was no match for it.  I felt like I needed an ax to properly get into it.  After a fair amount of unfortunate language, I somehow managed to cut enough of one end off that I was able to pry it off to hollow out the seeds.  I went back at it with the knife, but after half an hour I really hadn't gotten anywhere.

The solution, my friends, to getting your large hubbard squash into chunks small enough to lay out on a pan for roasting?  Gravity.  Perhaps with a little force.  I put Mozart in the Pack'n'Play for protection, raised the vegetable high above my head and smashed it to the ground.  It broke into three pieces.  Mozart hooted, "Again!"  And so we did. Until we had the entire thing in pieces that could be laid out on the cookie sheets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment