Beginners Luck?

Alright, so the yogurt is on the 3rd try.  I am hopeful.  I have put it in a water bath of exactly 100 degrees, wrapped it for extra insulation from our cool house, and set the timer.  Will report results tomorrow.  I'm not so picky about how thick it is as I like both kefir and yogurt, but it must be consumable to the Boy. 

As we sometimes do, Mme. Child shared our dinner this evening.  This time at our house (this happens much less often then us going over there).  She called while I was out getting milk for the aforementioned yogurt project this afternoon and since I already had a chicken thawing, and an idea of sides, she and Goose got an invitation.  On the menu was roast chicken with potatoes and shallots and butternut soup.  Mme. Child provided broccoli rabe.  As I was about to sit and await their arrival I decided biscuits were in order.  I have made biscuits about three times in my life, so Dr. Google was my assistant in finding a recipe.   I liked the sound of Easy Biscuits with 4 1/2 stars. 

The recipe is as follows:

Ingredients (Makes about 12 biscuits):
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 2/3 cup milk
Directions:
  • Mix dry ingredients.
  • Put oil in measuring cup and add milk. Do not stir.
  • Add to dry ingredients. 
  • Mix lightly to moisten ingredients and knead one or two times to form ball.
  • Roll out between two sheets of plastic wrap to about 1/2" thick.
  • Cut into 2" biscuits.
  • Bake on an ungreased pan at 475F for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned.
Never able to leave well enough along, however, I substituted the oil - of which I am sure the good cook used canola or vegetable oil - with coconut oil (2/3) and olive oil (1/3), still equaling 1/3 cup.  As the coconut oil is solid this time of year, I warmed it on the burner to liquify, topped it off with the olive oil, followed the other instructions, and voila!  Mme. Child thought they were excellent (here, again, is were I beam with pride) as did Goose, who recently is on a bit of a food strike, so that means something as well!  You can taste the coconut if you are looking for it (the Wife does not care for coconut, pour soul, and so she pointed this out), but it is subtle.  We, of course, had them as regular dinner biscuits, but I think they'd go quite nicely as the shortcake in strawberry shortcake! 

So hey, apparently, I can make biscuits!  Or maybe it's just beginner's luck, but I'll take it!

The impromptu spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment